VINZI'S LIFE: making it happen...

inked

Mai
jEff
Nadja
Katia
Imani
Kristate

Recent Posts

A Long Over due Conversation
Mourning My Uncle's Loss
Pleasant Little Nothings
A Few Words That Need To Be Said
Flux
Capturing One's Heart
Subsequent Headaches
Faith, Dispute, Priorities
Retreating Into Darkness
Silence

Archive

January 2004
February 2004
March 2004
April 2004
May 2004
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
March 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
December 2010

Kudos to

Subscribe



person/s reading



Powered by Blogger

Sunday, December 19, 2004

The Last Batch Of Boys

Back in the day when guys found out that I used to study in a school that was 85% of the population were ladies, 5% gays (chuckle, my apologies, old joke) they say they envy me. However, that shouldn’t be the case, you have to be mentally fit to study in such an environment. I say you’re a real man to study and have graduated in such school.
Imagine going to class being the only guy, the professor will spot you if you cut class or not, and quite often ask your opinion in the matter of men’s perspectives or what have you regarding discussions in class. I don’t mind that at all, in fact, I crave for the attention, wanting to prove myself as different from all the other guys they’ve met and I am different from them in terms of stereotyping behaviors. Probably the reason for which is the environment I was brought up in and my upbringing.
There was a time when the ladies mistake you as a hearing impaired student because, they’re the only male students at present allowed to enroll. It was frustrating at times because they tend to blatantly express it out loud. And then, they find out you aren’t, I have to admit the expression of their surprise and embarrassment was priceless.
I’ve known a few who didn’t take in the environment well and transferred to another school the following semester and I’ve also known a few who loved the environment to much that they forgot about studying after which, got dismissed from school due to grades. Then, there are the men who pooled together during brakes, often branded as “kubo” boys or “sanggu” boys or what have you, creating a sort of unofficial club and of course, the men who adapted to the environment and blended pretty much with everyone.
There was a time when I got pissed off with one of the school’s professors, who of all people graduated from the same college years ago, for the fact that she treated me as dirt. I don’t freaking care if the guys in your day used you, you geek. Don’t undermine my knowledge of feminism and the way I present my reports, if I may quote an old professor of mine, “unorthodox they may be however, effective and to the point.”
I’ve had some professors who give unpleasant comments about men while I’m in class and ask that what would be my reactions to what she just stated, in some bizarre way inviting conflict towards one and I simply and boldly retort, “ma’am, I’ve been studying in this school. Please differ me from the men outside it because I have already been infused with the school’s teachings and virtues. I understand and respect what you mean.”
We are a perfect example of men understanding the necessity of gender equality; we are a product of a school that is at present an exclusive for ladies.
Do not forget that we did attend school there because; we are sure as hell proud to have graduated from there. WE did choose this school even though; it was easy for us to transfer to another and regardless, it boasts one of the best quality educations around this country, nay, in fact, internationally. Our school participates in competitions internationally and has won numerous times and I’ve known a guy who became the best speaker in a Model United Nations Delegate a few years senior to mine.
For some of us, studying in this school were the best things that ever happened to them and I agree with that, I couldn’t have met my close friends; people I love and treasure. A lot of doors opened for me in this school and yet, I also can’t deny the fact that, it saddens me that no other guys can share this experience again.
We are a select few and even though, we sometimes do not excel as much as the women do, we make up for our tenacity to change, understand, learn, study to the best of our abilities and strive to be a model for our school if not, for ourselves.

posted by vinz @ 6:51 PM
| Post a Comment

0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home